Can I Sue for a Hit and Run Accident?

Can I Sue for a Hit and Run Accident?

Recent years have seen an increase in hit-and-run accidents. According to AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety (USA), a hit-and-run occurs in the U.S. approximately every 43 seconds. Many people in Illinois are victims of hit-and-run drivers every year. A 65-year-old woman was struck and run over by a driver as she attempted to cross Milwaukee Avenue. While hit-and-run accidents can cause the deaths of many people every year, the majority of hit-and-run incidents do not result in fatalities. However, they can still cost thousands of dollars in property and medical costs. It's bad enough to be in a car crash. But what happens if the at-fault driver drives away? You can file a claim for personal injury sustained in a hit-and-run accident. The answer is often yes.

Contact the Police

Hit-and-run cases are problematic because the story is always one-sided. This can be problematic if you don't believe what your insurance company says and there is no other evidence than your explanation about how the accident occurred. After being hit by a hit-and-run motorist, you need to call the police immediately! To ensure that the police can investigate further, it is better to let them handle the situation as soon as possible. The police will compile a report detailing their investigation, and this should include all relevant evidence. This impartial witness will be critical when discussing your claim with the insurance company. Contact the police if the accident occurs within the city limits. You should contact the county sheriff or state police if the accident occurs on the open highway.

Take a look at an uninsured motorist claim.

Uninsured motorist claims can be filed with your insurance company if you are involved in a 3hit-and-run accident. Every automobile policy must provide uninsured motorist coverage under 625 ILCS 7-203. This means it should cover at least $25,000 for bodily injury to one occupant and at least $50,000 for physical damages to two or more occupants. These limits are the minimum required coverage. If your bodily injury limit is higher, the uninsured motorist coverage will equal those policy limits. If you are a hit-and-run accident victim, your car insurance will cover you for medical expenses, pain, suffering, and other damages. Motor vehicle operators and pedestrians are covered by this rule—a civil lawsuit against the driver who hit-and-runs can be filed if they are arrested.

Locate the Right Attorney

Finding an attorney who understands the process if someone has been injured in a car accident. Finding an attorney who understands the legal process and how to file insurance claims is essential.

The Law Offices of Paul J. Fina, an experienced law firm, assist people who have been in an accident with a car. They assist Illinois residents in restoring their lives after an accident by handling medical bills and financial problems. The Law Offices of Paul J. Fina can help victims of car accidents get the proper compensation and medical assistance. The law office of Paul J. Fina is recognized as the top Downers Grove car accident lawyer based on A+ rankings for professionalism.

Contact us for more information and to speak with the Law Offices of Paul J. Fina about their legal services.